Monday, March 8, 2010

Prof. Periman participates in "I Know I Can" outreach program to elementary students

Prof. Deborah Periman, Justice Center faculty, participated in the University of Alaska and Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education outreach event to 2nd and 3rd grade school children called the "I Know I Can" program. Volunteers visit classrooms with a book titled, "I Know I Can," read it to students, and discuss their own college and work experiences.

The book tells the story of a group of animals trying to determine what they want to be when they grow up and how college fits into those plans. This event is part of communicating the message that "College is possible."

Prof. Periman participated in the program as part of the Alaska Bar Association Law Related Education Committee community outreach.