All events are free and open to UAA students, faculty, staff, and the public. The series will be held in the UAA/APU Consortium Library, 3rd floor, LIB 307. Parking is free in the library surface lots.
Friday, March 1, 2013 – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Working in Institutional and Community Corrections
- Anthony Piper, Alcohol Safety Action Program (ASAP) Program Manager, Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Rebecca Tozer, Probation Officer II, Alaska Department of Corrections
- Lt. Scott Dial & Sgt. Rodney Ramirez, Alaska Department of Corrections
Thursday, March 7, 2013 – 6:30 – 7:00 p.m.
Gideon v. Wainwright: Celebrating 50 Years of Public Defenders for Criminal Offenses and a Proposal for a “Civil Gideon”
- Prof. Richard Curtner, Federal Defender, Federal Defender’s Office
- Michael Schwaiger, Assistant Public Defender, Alaska Public Defender Agency
- Nikole Nelson, Executive Director, Alaska Legal Services Corporation
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 – 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (note different start time)
Tribal Courts in Alaska: Past, Present, and Future
- Walt Monegan, Alaska Native Justice Center CEO, Moderator
- Kevin Illingworth, Tribal Management Program Head and Assistant Professor, Interior-Aleutians Campus, UAF
- Lisa Jaeger, Tribal Government Specialist, Tanana Chiefs Conference
- Natalie Landreth, Staff Attorney, Native American Rights Fund
- Magistrate Judge Christopher McLain, Alaska Court System