|Stephanie McFadden, Chair of the Council|
on Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault,
described the research partnership between
CDVSA and the UAA Justice Center.
|CDVSA Executive Director Sandy Samaniego|
Sexual Assault, delivered closing remarks.
Research was conducted by André B. Rosay, Marny Rivera, and Brad Myrstol of the UAA Justice Center; Sandy Samaniego and Lauree Morton of the CDVSA; and Darryl S. Wood of Washington State University Vancouver. The study provides the first definitive measures of the incidence and prevalence of intimate partner violence and sexual violence against women in Alaska.
|Dr. André Rosay of the UAA Justice|
Center presented study findings.
- 58.6% of Alaska women experienced at least one incident of intimate partner violence or sexual violence over their lifetime.
- 11.8% experienced at least one incident of intimate partner violence or sexual violence during the last year prior to the survey.
Other presenters at the press conference included Stephanie McFadden, chair of the CDVSA, who provided an overview of the partnership between CDVSA and the Justice Center in conducting the survey; a panel question and answer session with Col. Audie Holloway of the Alaska State Troopers, Nancy Haag of Standing Together Against Rape (STAR), Suzi Pearson of Abused Women's Aid in Crisis (AWAIC), and Sandy Samaniego, executive director of CDVSA.
|Col. Audie Holloway of the Alaska State Troopers, Nancy Haag of STAR, Suzi Pearson|
of AWAIC, and Sandy Samaniego of CDVSA addressed audience questions.
- “One in four Alaska women victims of rape or attempted rape, survey says” by Alex DeMarban (Tundra Drums).
- “Survey reveals higher rate of violence against Alaska women: ALASKA: 59 percent of women in poll experienced violence, threats” by Lisa Demer (Anchorage Daily News).
- “Study paints stark portrait of Alaska domestic violence” (video) by Christine Kim (KTUU Channel 2 News).
- “Survey Shows More Alaskan Women Victims of Sexual Assault ” (video) by Alexis Fernandez (KTVA Channel 11 News) (text of story here).
- “Shockingly High Rate of Violence Against Women Found in Alaska” (audio) by Ellen Lockyer (KSKA Anchorage Public Radio and Alaska Public Radio Network).
- "AK's domestic, sexual violence: Not just bad, AWFUL" (Alaska Dispatch).
- "Alaska women report high rate of domestic violence" by the Associated Press (Fairbanks Daily News-Miner).
Additional photos from the UAA Justice Center of the press conference have been compiled into a slideshow:
(All photos by Melissa Green of the UAA Justice Center.)