- Nearly 44% of adult women in the Kodiak Island Borough have experienced intimate partner violence, sexual violence or both, in their lifetime;
- Over 6% have experienced intimate partner violence, sexual violence or both, in the past year;
- More than 1 out of every 5 adult women in the Kodiak Island Borough have experienced sexual violence in their lifetime; and
- More than 1 out of every 3 have experienced intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
For additional information on the Alaska Victimization Survey, please visit http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/avs, or contact André Rosay with the UAA Justice Center or Lauree Morton with the Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (907-465-5503) http://www.dps.state.ak.us/CDVSA/
The Kodiak Women's Resource and Crisis Center (KWRCC) provides resources and crisis services to the community, as well as a shelter for women and their children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Their crisis line is 907-486-3625 or toll free 1-888-486-3625.
The Providence Kodiak Island Counseling Center offers a wide array of behavioral health services. To learn more about their services, please call 907-481-2400.
Below are links to media coverage of this event:
- "Study: 44 percent of Kodiak women abused" by Nicole Klauss (Kodiak Daily Mirror, Oct 5, 2012).
- "Survey Finds 44 Percent Of Kodiak Women Experience Sexual, Domestic Violence" by Anne Hillman (Alaska Public Radio Network, Oct 8, 2012).
- "Forty-four percent of Kodiak women have been abused - University surveyors say rates in every Alaska area studied are "astronomical." by Associated Press (Anchorage Daily News, Oct 6, 2012; no longer online). The AP story in full or excerpted also appeared in other media in Alaska and nationally, including:
- Anchorage: KTUU Channel 2 News (Oct 6, 2012); Anchorage Daily Planet (no longer online); KBYR 730 AM (no longer online)
- Fairbanks: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (Oct 6, 2012)
- Juneau: Juneau Empire (Oct 7, 2012); KTOO 104.3 FM (Oct 8, 2012)
- Ketchikan: Ketchikan Daily News (Oct 8, 2012)
- California: San Francisco Chronicle (Oct 6, 2012); Sacramento Bee (no longer online)
- Massachusetts: The Enterprise (Brockton) (Oct 6, 2012); New England Cable News (Oct 6, 2012)
- South Carolina: York Enquirer-Herald (no longer online)
- Texas: San Antonio Express News (Oct 6, 2012); Beaumont Enterprise (Oct 6, 2012)